Saturday, October 25, 2014

Blog 4 Week 4


  1.             I was so interested in the article this week, “Medicating Young Minds”.  I have ADD, anxiety/depression and a touch of OCD.  I wasn’t diagnosed until my mid-twenties and have just recently found a medication that seems to help me be my best, and I am 31 now.  This particular article is so interesting because it emphasizes how difficult a decision it can be to put your child on medication, and also to find the right mix of medications, especially for those who suffer from bipolar or manic disorders. 
                I never knew just how plastic our brains were when we were children and adolescents.  There haven’t been any studies on long-term effects on our brains when we medicate at such a young age.  Credible studies need a control group and an experimental group.  This means that in order for any long term studies to happen, some children who really need medication might not receive it (control group receives the placebo) and this is a risk that is seemingly not worth taking.  But isn’t that the sacrifice we make to improve and further science?  Tough decisions, and not all who deserve the trial medications will receive them.  These hard decisions improve the data, which in turn helps the medication receive FDA approval that can help millions. 
                There is controversy behind medicating children who show syptoms: are we hindering them from learning how to cope with the stresses of daily living and normal childhood issues such as self-esteem or peer pressure?  Is it better to allow them to fully show symptoms before administering medication?  All the experts agree that medication alone should not be the only solution.  Talk therapy or other counseling while taking medications will maximize effectiveness. 
     
  2.             This week’s material has simultaneously been the most interesting and the most challenging for me thus far.  For years I suffered through getting in trouble for talking out of turn, talking too much, trouble paying attention, procrastination…..the list really could go on and on.  I somehow made it through college with a bachelor’s degree (though it took me 8 years going part-time and not every quarter).  I came from a family that expected you to attend a four year university right after high school, and if you didn’t then you were considered the rebel or black sheep of the family. 
                In my years at the university, I never knew why I was unable to focus, study or do homework.  I began drinking and smoking pot (what I now know to be self-medicating) to bare the pain I was in.  When I was almost done with college my mother revealed to me my aunt (her sister) tried to commit suicide and was starting medication for depression.  A few years after I graduated, I finally found out what I was going through was something that could benefit from professional help.  I saw a therapist for several years, and only then was I aware of my condition(s).  I was on and off different medications for a few more years, until I found that a low dose of Sertraline HCL (basically Zoloft) that helped me feel like I was myself.  I still question sometimes whether I need an increased dose, or if I am just having one of those days, but I do know that being on medication, for me, helps me cope (with life) better.  It basically feels like my highs and lows are more stable, (less “high” and “low”).
               
  3.             I would like to know why regular M.D.s are allowed to prescribe these drugs.  Most doctors are in and out of the room in 5 to 10 minutes (not necessarily their fault, they usually work for a corporation which emphasizes quick turn-around).  How can they possibly evaluate and diagnose properly?  Should this even be legal?  I currently see a nurse practitioner every six months to get a refill on my medications, and appointments are minimum 30 minutes!!  When you first are being diagnosed, it is an hour to hour and a half appointments, and you check in at three months.  There is so much information out there and yet so little regarding this particular issue, so I really need to emphasize my question earlier: why are regular M.D.s allowed to prescribe psych medications? 

3 comments:

  1. “I came from a family that expected you to attend a four year university right after high school, and if you didn’t then you were considered the rebel or black sheep of the family”. Aren’t families great? I know most of my life was spent wondering what in the hell was wrong with my family, only to find out this was normal. All families have a degree of insanity to them. Only recently has it been made public through psychology and comedy, yes I said it, comedy. How many comedians can you think of that talk about their crazy families? I can think of three without even trying. 1 Rosanne Barr she made millions of her show about family. 2. John leguizamo talks about growing up in a Latino family in his comedy routines and then last but not least we have George Carlin. My whole family has thought I was crazy at one time or another, but the thing that cracks me up is that they are just as crazy, if not worse. I remember one Christmas my grandmother being so drunk that the last thing that was said as everyone was leaving was and I quote “Merry fucking Christmas”. Now I come from an Irish Italian family from the east coast so are form of medication is alcohol so for everyone is either drinking or attempting a period of sobriety. Sad thing is it is never all together. I can relate to your writing and am happy that you have found peace. It also sounds like you maybe in a program of some sort so I say good luck to you. Thanks for your honesty. It is nice to see something real being talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that most families have issues :)
      Now that I am in a good place, I find it almost refreshing to put my past on the table, and especially since my past isn't so horrific. But, like everyone, I do find pain in my prior decisions.
      I appreciate the comment on your grandmother at Christmas! So real, so revealing!!
      Cheers...

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate what Joanna has to say about a variety of topics on her blog post. With regards to her idea of “I believe parenting has just changed” I will have to agree. From 2001 through current the way anything changes. Ways of thinking and doing are continually evolving. Our society is based on this premise. From 2001 to current there been specific societal changes which if we were to brain storm them we could agree on this. Even though parenting has changed or evolved if you will are we still the ones responsible for each new group of pre adult teens moving into our culture?
    From the article by Hymowitz it would seem so. Alternatively there is research available which continues to support her theory. One such study is as follows: This is a web based PDF. Their information is evidence based. I do not have their evidence data listed here.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clintonfoundation.org%2Ffiles%2F2s2f_framingreport_v2r3.pdf&ei=uKpXVLyXNpSlyAStxIHoDQ&usg=AFQjCNGXt1QW5yRZuKoxkCXt08FdQbTAeg&sig2=_4Res8Z-0AO1m1sv97hRdg&bvm=bv.78677474,d.aWw
    What I searched for was “research successful parenting 21st century”. This was only one of many articles which appeared. The foundation is the “Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation”. Their focus is on children ages 0-5. Now where have we heard this before? Their mantra is our kids are too small to fail. Adding to this that we are raising these generations to take over our nation and succeed! Currently India and China are leading the way in efficient and purposeful investment of their small kiddos. These two countries are also emergent economies for which we will be in competition.
    If you are too getting ready to “be in competition” what do you do? You specifically ready yourself for that target area in which you are competing. For instance applying to a higher educational facility, or sports or a test the list could go on. My point is if you are doing this doesn’t it make sense to also engage our youth to get them ready for running the nation? China and India focus on this for their children starting at birth.
    The U.S. continues to prove our children are not prepared. They are entering school with lagging vocabulary, lacking in numeracy not to mention attention span and self-control. So back to the point of Hymowitzs article. If we can agree that most definitely our brains at birth are already susceptible to corruption from numerous sources, then can we agree that someone needs and must take responsibility for this? I know we already studied just the tip of the iceberg which engaged us in this exact thought process. If our babies are little scientists and as they grow into 9-18 year olds or any age why would we as a society step back and not finish their brain development to the fullest?
    So I do stand in belief not only are parents responsible but as citizens and a culture we are all responsible for this craziness of our youth in America. The Marysville Pillchuck random bizarre killing of 3 teens. I believe this could have been prevented. I also believe that indeed the parenting has been lost. I also believe like so many have alluded to in regards to this that we are trying really hard to take back what has been taken from all of us. I hope we can all continue to grow and learn and take “preventative” measures with our children.
    Those measures look like monitoring the T.V. or pull your cable as I have done. Connect with other “responsible” adults when taking your child and leaving them in someone else’s charge. Educate yourself as an adult so you know how to best serve our children whether or not you are a parent. I could go on however the evidence is there. We all need to be involved in positive, nurturing and boundary setting relationships for all our children. In doing so we will be one step closer as a nation in which we value and uphold the honor each new generation brings to our society and nation.
    Thanks Joanna for your post! Great job.
    Tami

    ReplyDelete