The section in this week’s readings that meant the most for
me to delve into was the death of one’s parent (page 625). I was born in 1983, and both of my parents
were born in 1946, making them almost 69.
I remember growing up I felt like I had the old parents, especially
until I got to college. All of a sudden
(perhaps the distinction might be the mature setting and education) I noticed
new people I met here and there had parents that might be in their late 70’s
now. My mom was 38 when she had me, and
I am now nearly 32. I am nowhere close
to having a family.
I have
complained plenty to my close friends about my parents over the years, but the
truth is, I don’t know what I will do when they pass away. I, like most people, love their parents,
flaws and all…… They are both in great
health, my dad is still working as a pharmacist, and my mom pretty much keeps
him in line and spends her days with their young Corgi. My older brother actually moved back home to
get his accounting degree. My parents
might not be in the best shape, but they are definitely mentally and physically
active. My mom even this past year took
up yoga.
Our book
describes that when a parent dies, often surviving children redefine their
relationships. To me, this seems code
for: you will fight over who gets what, and will try to maintain contact after
dividing assets. But I am rather
cynical. My dad is an undiagnosed
hoarder (he gets upset at having to get rid of anything, even an old (like 20+
years) leather sofa with the cushions falling apart) so ultimately, if he
passes away there will be so much stuff to go through. He has a thing with magazines, newspapers,
really, any media. He keeps old
keyboards, monitors, computers, printers, etc.
I have had a hard time getting him to let me reclaim some of my
belongings that I have brought over for storage the past decade or so.
Another
thing our book describes is the loss of one’s mother when a woman herself is
pregnant. I mentioned above I am 32 and
am nowhere close to starting a family (pretty sure I want at least one
child). I think currently my greatest
fear is not having a child in time for my mom to meet her grandchild (and in
full capacity so she can actually remember and enjoy). But you can’t force having a child (well, you
can, but I am going to wait at least until I am 35 and certain). Another huge fear I have is not knowing as
much about my parents as I would like. One example is I have 2 brothers, but I had
another brother who died before I was born, complications with eye surgery (or
something like that). The last time I
asked my mom about it was when I was 8 or 9, and she got choked up, so I haven’t
brought it up since because no one wants to make their mom cry.
The last
paragraph in that section describes feelings after a parent dies. One might accept their own mortality better,
and realize that they themselves aren’t immortal or invincible. Another feeling might be a relief that their
suffering is over. In addition, if the
parent suffered a lengthy illness (the book uses Alzheimer’s as an example),
the parent-child relationship can decrease, and when the physical death occurs
it might feel like a second death.
I
appreciate the idea of end of life being thought of as more of a thread, but it
doesn’t make it any less sad to think about.
One thing I am thankful for is that I really do see a lot of attributes
of both of my parents in me, which when I was younger I denied and was
horrified by, but now I have learned to embrace and accept. I think it will help me to stay connected to
my parents even after they have passed on.
Joanna thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the chapters over the quarter. I have enjoyed reading your blogs. I feel the same as you about not knowing what I will do when my parents pass. My dad is my biggest fan he has supported me with everything I have done in life. Never once has he doubted me or at least he has never shown it. My best friends dad was recently taken from us and that was hard enough I can't imagine if it was my dad.
ReplyDeleteSome very good points mentioned Joanna in your post. I can find some common ground with you here. I am thinking though more in regards to your parents and myself. What I mean is our similarities between your parents and I comparatively speaking. For one I am an older parent. I had my last child at age 40. I began my family at age 29. I believe you are still good there as far as child bearing years. My parents though were not around for me exactly. It sounds to me that all in all that life at home and as a young adult for you may not be very different than many people.
ReplyDeleteI noticed particularly what you said about your personal child bearing years. I can tell you from my experience you still have time! I checked out an article as well that I hope you will find hopeful. I did! It is titled For More American Moms, Kids Are a Late-30’s Thing. In their article the Wall St. Journal said that more women are putting off child bearing (May 9, 2014). Some reasons included women are more independent; the earnings/income has a less negative impact and that the late 30’s to early 40’s is more the norm for first time moms now days.
In data from Pew Research Center for the C.D.C, BETWEEN 2000-2012 9 times as many children are born to first time moms that a decade ago (Wall Street Journal, 5/9/14).In 1970 1% of first children were born to women over 35 years of age. Now in 2012 that percentage is up to 35. Quite the increase in percentage points from only a 10 year span.
I hope this information is encouraging! I thought it very cool. Always something new to learn. Thanks for your post Joanna!
Refernce
Shah, N. (2014, May 1). For More American Moms, Kids Are A Late-30's Thing. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved December 7, 2014, from http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/05/09/for-more-american-moms-kids-are-a-late-30s-thing/